UV Gotta Have Sunnies
The kickoff to summer has finally arrived—Happy Memorial Day weekend, everyone! After months of suffering through wintery mixes and spring showers, the time to break out the bikinis and board shorts is here. Most of you are probably headed to the beach or lake to play in the sun and hit up some BBQs, so we thought we’d give you a few tips about how to keep your peepers safe and looking good throughout weekend.
While it’s imperative to protect your eyes from the sun’s UVA and UVB rays year-round, it’s especially important during the summer since most people are spending more time outdoors. According to The Vision Council’s “Hidden Dangers of UV: Keeping Your Eyes Safe” report, most Americans link sun exposure to skin cancer; however, less than one in three Americans recognize the dangers it can cause to the eyes. Long- and short-term consequences can result in photokeratitis, a sunburn of the eye (ouch!), cataracts and cancer, just to name a few. Instead of exposing your eyes to scary side effects from the sun, opt for a pair of sunglasses that offer UVA and UVB protection.
Now that you’re aware of the dangers, it’s time to find the perfect pair of sunnies to pack up with your SPF, baseball cap and beach umbrella this Memorial Day weekend. To make your life a little easier, we’ve come up with a few frame suggestions to choose from. These sunnies—in addition to other protective measures—will help keep harmful rays out and sexy style in.
If you don’t have that perfect pair of frames for the weekend yet, here are some helpful tips to take note of when picking out shades that will keep you fabulously framed and your pretty eyes protected:
- Make sure the lenses provide protection against both UVA and UVB rays
- Buy from a reputable retailer
- Go for comfort—shades that don’t feel right are less likely to be worn
- Have multiple pairs for different activities you like to do (hiking, boating, tennis, etc.)
- Select a lens color that improves clarity and reduces glare (yellow- and brown-tinted lenses are best when you’re on the water; and gray, brown and amber are great for field sports)
- Pick sunnies that work with your face shape. Need tips? Get them here!
Have a great weekend!